GMR Offers Heat Safety Tips
There are several proactive steps you can take to stay healthy and beat the heat.
Extreme temperatures can lead to heat-related conditions and potential health emergencies, including sunburn, dehydration and heat stroke. GMR wants to remind residents in areas suffering under extreme heat conditions of the following safety tips to stay healthy and beat the heat:
- Stay indoors and avoid being out in the heat when possible.Seek an air-conditioned environment. If you don't have air conditioning, consider visiting an air-conditioned shopping mall, public library or community cooling center to cool off.
- Drink plenty of water, including beverages with electrolytes, regardless of activity level.
- Limit alcohol intake.
- Wear lightweight clothing.
- When outside, wear sunscreen and protective clothing.
- Avoid strenuous activities.
- Never leave a child or pet in the car, even to run a quick errand.
- If you or someone you know are experiencing confusion, loss of consciousness, seizures, very high body temperature and have stopped sweating, call 911 immediately.